On the 15th of August, Enterprise Rent-A-Car recruiter, Martyn Flynn, won the award for Best Campus Recruitment Campaign at the 2012 Vice Chancellors Enterprise awards at Plymouth University. This was a great achievement for him and us as a Company, as we were able to highlight our work in partnering with the university and our strong campus strategy. This award recognised Enterprise as a true employer of choice with the students and universities.
We asked Martyn for his advice to students on how to get noticed by prospective employers and he provided these 5 helpful tips:
1. Network – Use every opportunity available to engage with employers through university either through events run by the careers service, careers fairs or involvement with societies. You can get yourself noticed well before your peers and get ahead of the game.
2. Develop your skills at every opportunity. Get as much work experience as you can, involve yourself in societies and sports team and make yourself ‘employable’.
3. Be thorough on your applications, this is your chance to sell yourself on why you are the best person and have the right skills to do the role. Don’t sell yourself short.
4. Research the company, make contact with recruiters via phone, email or linked in and demonstrate your real enthusiasm and ‘want’ for that job. This will take you further than you think.
5. Bring your ‘A Game’ to every stage of the interview process. You need to be at your best on the day, be prepared, be on time and be yourself.
Follow these and be sure you are on your way to land yourself a great graduate scheme!